January 19 - 23, 2026
On Monday, January 19th, the schools in the OCSB are participating in United in Black Day (formerly Black Shirt Day). Students and staff are invited to wear black and use the opportunity to raise awareness about anti-Black racism (and racism in all its forms), raise the profile of the systemic barriers that Black people have faced and continue to face within our school communities, and to speak up against racism wherever it shows itself. Your child is encouraged to wear a black shirt on Monday.
Our Learning This Week
Language:
Our reading comprehension focus continues to be an exploration of several features of non-fiction texts (e.g., table of contents, and we will learn more about headings, special font, photographs, diagrams, labels, captions, text boxes, maps, cut-outs/closeups, glossary, and index.
This week in our phonics lessons, we will learn about past tense verbs (used when we talk about actions that have already happened). We will explore the use of the ending -ED to verbs to make them past tense: I jump, I jumped. I yell, I yelled.
This week's new heart words: many, any
Please have your child practise the heart words we have learned so far in class: the, I, a, said, to, do, of, see, he, be, me, from, you, what, have, look, book, are, was, your, want, go, no, so, goes, says, they, their, were, talk, walk, could, should, would, or, for, who, by, my, one, once, use, two, does, *any, *many.
Important Dates:
Mon., Jan. 19 - United in Black day - Wear a black shirt
Wed., Jan. 21 - Bell Let's Talk Day
Fri., Jan. 23 - Grade 2/3 library books due
Jan. 30 - P.D. Day: No school for students
No comments:
Post a Comment